Thursday, April 28, 2011

Response Thoughts on Banksy's Film

     I appreciated hearing from my peers, especially those who had a different reaction than I did. I found the idea of Mr. Brainwash brainwashing the art world interesting, if that was indeed his intention. I am skeptical that he was aware of his manipulation of the art world however, for he believed art in and of itself was brainwashing, and did not seem to be trying to think of ways to critique the current institution of the art world. I was never under the impression that he was very aware of himself as an artist or what the purpose of his art was.
     Banksy's quote about Terry breaking all the rules in art when there aren't supposed to be any rules in art also made me pause. Should there really be no rules? It does seem unfair that he could gain such rapid success, but just because its not fair doesn't necessarily make it illegitimate. On the other hand, can this really be called art? Whose to say? I certainly still dislike Terry's art, along with a great deal of contemporary art in general, but I also doesn't want to be too narrow minded in my thinking about what makes art. I think if Terry had been more aware of what he was trying to say, I would have respected his art more.

No comments:

Post a Comment